- Check your furnace vent for debris and be sure the vent connections are secure.
- Remove any flammable items that are stored near the furnace or fireplace.
- Never run your automobile in an attached garage as this could lead to carbon
- Never remove ice damming and icicles without the proper procedures. Roof
damage can result from poor procedures.
- Replace any exterior bulbs that are required to maintain correct lighting.
- Pick-up and use sidewalk salt to maintain a slip free environment.
- Clean out dryer vents and free any lint or debris.
- Purchase heavy-duty extension cords that are applicable for exterior lighting
and other holiday accessories.
- Turn off all Christmas lighting when leaving your home.
- Stay clear of power-lines when using a roof rake.
- Purchase a boot-scraping mat to place outside your entrance door.
- If you bring a real Christmas tree into the home, keep it fresh by watering
it daily. A dry tree is extremely dangerous as a fire hazard.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for alarm operation, and replace
- Keep holiday gifts and flammable trees away from space heaters.
- If you decorate your home with exterior lights, check for frayed wires.
- Never use decorative lighting on an item such as a metal handrail. Should
a wire become exposed, it could conduct electricity.
- Maintain a clear path to your water meter and other areas in need of access.
This will promote safety and prevent estimated meter readings.
- Do not use kerosene space heaters as they release carbon monoxide. These
heater types require exterior venting.
- Check your furnace filter and have the furnace tuned up professionally at
least every two years
- Keep a watchful eye on pets relating to their chewing on extension cords.