HOW TO ENSURE CARBON MONOXIDE HOME SAFETY
DANGER: The need for heat from fireplaces or furnaces can
increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. The following information
will help you keep your family safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Ensure that the exhaust gases vent properly from the central home heating
unit. When the furnace is on, check for good airflow, indicated by heat ripples
or whites haze emitting from the attached flue. Other sources to check are: water
heaters, clothes dryers, ranges, stoves, gas space heaters, and wood stoves.
- Buy detectors with constant carbon monoxide air concentration display
- Buy carbon monoxide detectors with three to five year usage ranges.
- Purchase carbon monoxide detectors that connect direct to home electrical.
- Do not purchase detectors that use a battery power supply.
Carbon monoxide is gas that is odorless, colorless, poisonous, and produced
by the combustion of organic materials such as fuels, wood, or other substances,
which contains carbon. While very high gas levels produce comas and death, the
following are the symptoms lower gas levels produce.
- Flu like symptoms such as: headache, fatigue, and nausea.
- Severe headaches and loss of muscle control.
Most cities have Environmental Services Divisions that offer indoor air quality
testing for the presence of carbon monoxide. This is usually a free service.
Overton Factor Articles
Information provided by this website is general and is not a substitute for professional
advice. Please consult your investment advisor and/or attorney before entering
into any transaction.